- Founded by designer Rachel Faller in 2008, tonlé is a brand and manufacturing factory that is wholeheartedly committed to the environment, paving the way in zero-waste design where their entire production leaves 0% waste (compared to a typical factory that can average up to 40%)
- The smallest scraps left from sewing are weaved into new fabrics or made into tonlé’s own recycled paper.
- 90% of tonlé’s fabrics are recycled from remnant materials from factory scraps before they end up in landfill! The other 10% are from local and sustainable suppliers.
- Buckles, pendants and buttons are hand-carved from reclaimed scraps of wood, sourced from local makers. tonlé also collaborates with a ceramic workshop based in Siem Reap to produce handmade buttons and beads from locally dug clay.
- All natural dyes are non-toxic, 80% of which come from edible materials like soy milk and lemon.
- Employees earn well above the local Phnom Penh minimum wage, provided with benefits and extensive training, as well as offered careers opportunities instead of a traditional assembly line model.
- Extensive information about their design processes, their staff and the reason behind why they do what they do, is openly available on their website.
Theo the Label