- Established in 2012 by Lis Harvey, NICO produces sustainable underwear, swimwear and basics made in Australia, India and Bangladesh using fabrics such as modal, recycled cotton and recycled nylon.
- Modal is NICO’s fabric of choice, which is regarded as one of the most environmentally sustainable options available. NICO uses certified Lenzing fibres produced in Austria through an innovative process using wood pulp from sustainably sourced beechwood. The fibres are then custom knitted in Melbourne, Australia, and some in India, of which NICO outline on each garment’s label.
- Part of the NICO Basics range is produced in Tamil Nadu, India, with a small certified Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) factory, who are also going through certification audits for Sedex and Fairtrade.
- NICO socks are made in Bangladesh by a garment factory that is both ethically and environmentally responsible, compliant with BSCI (Business Social Compliance Initiative), and certified by WRAP (Worldwide Responsible Accredited Production) and Alliance for Bangladesh Worker Safety.
- All Australian made garments are accredited with Ethical Clothing Australia (ECA).
NICO: Starting a label that parallels with strong ethics
30th May 2016
From shooting for brands to kickstarting her own, Lis Harvey has paved her own way to create something she loves