- Lemlem was established by supermodel and Ethiopian native Liya Kebede in 2007. Committed to preserving traditional craftsmanship while expanding production and job opportunities across Africa, Lemlem means “to bloom” or “to flourish” in Amharic.
- Lemlem is working to preserve the art form of handweaving, crocheting, embroidering and knitting by empowering and partnering with local artisan women across Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda and Madagascar who were lacking in opportunity prior to Kebede’s business initiative.
- In 2015 Lemlem grew to include production in Kenya, with hand-crocheted, silk and jersey garments, continuing to carry Kebede’s mission to share the craftsmanship and opportunities within African manufacturing with the world.
- Majority of garments are made using local Ethiopian cotton. Specific information in regards to other material sourcing, such as the use of silk and wool, is limited.
- 5% of all online purchases are donated to the Lemlem Foundation, whose mission is to improve the lives of Africa’s women “by promoting access to healthcare and economic opportunities”.
Everyday Sleepwear Activewear
Fair Handcraft Organic Sustainable